Due to its size and variable elevation, Argentina has a variety of climates. Despite being a country rich in water, it has an uneven distribution of [water resources](https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/c0c9e9f1-es/index.html?itemId=/content/component/ c0c9e9f1-es) with two thirds of its territory being classified as arid (61% of the country’s total area) and semi-arid (15% of the country’s total area). These basins have low rainfall and contain less than 1% of the country’s total surface water. Eighty-five percent of the country’s surface water is found in the La Plata River basin (24% of the country’s total area), which is also home to the highest concentration of the population and productive activity. 30% of total water demand comes from groundwater extraction, while the remaining 70% is sourced from surface water.